Wednesday, 5 August 2015

Just a reminder about speeches :)

Year 2 Students only
You have Four Weeks to write, plan and learn your speech off by heart!!
  

Task

Your task is to prepare a one minute speech on one of the following topics :
Ø  My favourite toy
Ø  I wish…
Ø  One day…
Ø  My best friend
Ø  Did you know?

Someone at home can help you to plan and organise your speech.

To help with your planning, you will be assessed on the following points:
Content:
The message that I gave was clear and meaningful/In general my speech was interesting

Structure:
I have organised my speech well into an introduction, middle and conclusion

Delivery:
I have created cue cards and I can look up from my cue cards to talk to the audience
I can say my speech at a steady pace
I can say my speech clearly
I have used a good level of volume so people sitting at the back can hear me
I am relaxed and confident 
I can use my voice/body language to make my speech more powerful
I can stand up straight and tall when I am talking
I can stand without fidgeting while I am talking
My Audience was interested and engaged


Please note:
The speech can be persuasive or informative.

Making a speech is nothing to fear.  With preparation and practise you can improve your skills and increase your confidence. Please start early and don’t leave it for the week before the speech finals.



Here is a checklist and suggested Timeline:

1. Decide on a topic – Week 1
  • Choose one of the 5 topics that were given

2. Ready to write- Week 1                                                                 
  • Begin researching your topic –remember you are allowed to quote someones research but you are not allowed to copy a speech off the internet

3. Now rip into writing  -Week 2                                                                     

  • Write a strong introduction and a powerful conclusion
  • Develop some main ideas
  • Keep it simple

4. Put your speech on cue cards –Week 3                
  • Cut cards to fit comfortably in your hand
  • Number the cards

5. Work on your presentation skills- Week 3 and 4                                        
  • Learn your speech
  • You may use cue cards.
  • Practise in front of the mirror
  • Practise in front of an audience
  • Time yourself to make sure that your speech is as close to 1 minute as possible
Cross off each of these steps as you complete them.
The class speech finals will be held on Wednesday the 2nd of September 2015. .  Parents are welcome to attend these class finals.
Finalists will be announced the next day.
The finalists will take part in the Kiwi team finals that will be held in the school hall on Friday the 4th of September 2015.  Once again families are welcome to attend these.


No comments:

Post a Comment